Year-round, the rhythm of the arts keeps pace with the seasons, which means Spring brings explosions of color as well as theater, music, gallery exhibitions, and culinary delights for the wine lover, the micro-brew connoisseur, and even a cheese making experience. Martha's Vineyard has everything you want for a perfect Spring fling. Plus, you get to take advantage of nice weather and reduced rates for lodging.
1. Martha's Vineyard Wine Festival
This 4-day festival is like no other wine experience. Taking place Island-wide at various private homes and businesses, visitors enjoy perfect pairings of wine and food in one of the most beautiful settings in the world, Martha's Vineyard. Some of the events of the wine festival include an Opening Reception at the iconic Harbor View Hotel in Edgartown, various themed wine dinners at local restaurants and private homes, specialty events like "Real Men Drink Pink," the Great Beer Challenge, a creative Cocktail Competition, a Bloody Mary Brunch, a VIP Grand Tasting, Oysters & Champagne, and so much more!
2. Pink & Green Weekend
Now in its 4th year, Pink & Green Weekend celebrates Spring and Mother's Day with numerous fun-filled events, including a Pink & Green Adult Prom, a local pub crawl, Mother's Day brunches, a pink & green dog show, themed sales at independent merchants, a Cirque Du Pink & Green plant show that transforms an Island nursery into a circus, plus so much more!
3. Shellfish Extravaganza
Also in its 4th year, the Martha's Vineyard Shellfish Extravaganza and Chowder Contest celebrates the bounty of Vineyard seas. This fundraiser, for the Martha's Vineyard Shellfish Group, helps maintain the quality and sustainability of shellfish on the Island, which is one of the Vineyard's most prominent industries. Slurp deliciously sweet local oysters, enjoy chowders made by some of the premier chefs on the Island, and dance the night away to Johnny Hoy and the Bluefish, one of the best local bands. The Shellfish Extravaganza is a true Vineyard experience. More info here.
4. Oak Bluffs Open Market
Part farmers market, part flea market, part street food festival, the Oak Bluffs Open Market brings together some of the best vendors the Island has to offer. Guests can purchase incredible local products made, grown, and crafted right here on Martha's Vineyard. From vegetables, to local sea salt and Island-made chocolate, plus clothing, face painting, live music, and even tarot card readings, the Oak Bluffs Open Market creates its own unique vibe and is a great place to sample much of what Martha's Vineyard has to offer. Plus, it's held in Washington Park, which overlooks the Oak Bluffs Harbor - so you get all this and a great view.
5. Farm.Field.Sea's Cheese-Making Workshop
The workshop kicks off with a tour of the working farm at The FARM Institute to see their vibrant gardens, meet their loved animals, and learn the history of the farming on Martha’s Vineyard. From there, guests head to the kitchen with Grey Barn Farm’s head cheesemaker, Jacqueline Foster, to dive right in to making their own fresh ricotta and mozzarella from the milk just outside the door. The day will culminate with an alfresco lunch on the farm and a tour of six New American cheeses, discussing the styles and flavors of Farmstead varieties. This event is a culinary traveler's delight! More info here.
6. Fiber Folks: Come see what Fiber Folks is all about! Taking place at the iconic Agricultural Hall in West Tisbury, Fiber Folks is a chance to get together and meet other hand-crafters. Whether you're an ol' pro or just beginning, join others for knitting, spinning, rug hooking, quilting, and more. Fiber arts are alive and well on Martha's Vineyard!
7. Nature as Inspiration, Environmental Film Festival: Does life imitate art, or does art imitate life? At the 1st annual Environmental Film Festival, the Martha's Vineyard Film Society and the Vineyard Conservation Society bring viewers films inspired by nature, created by renowned environmental filmmaker, Jacques Perrin. The 4-day event will feature over six viewings, an opening reception, Q&A with the filmmaker, and a champagne reception. Nature and the arts; it doesn't get more Vineyard than that!
8. Chamber Music Society's Spring Concert: The Martha's Vineyard Chamber Music Society kicks off the season with one of their most popular and well attended events of the year - the Spring Concert! Come listen to the melodic sounds of distinguished musicians with an ensemble of clarinet, viola, and piano. The event takes place at the beautiful and historic Whaling Church in Edgartown.
SEE YOU ON THE VINEYARD!
Visit Martha's Vineyard
Loving Martha's Vineyard is the easiest thing in the world to do.