Martha’s Vineyard is well known for our picture-perfect beaches, quaint towns, historic lighthouses, independent shops, beautiful bike trails, pristine waters, and farm-and-sea-to-table cuisine. But a little lesser known fact is something else that makes the Island so very special: Martha’s Vineyard is incredibly pet friendly! With these 10 great places to stay with your dog, there’s no reason to leave your best friend home when visiting.
These 3 year-round hotels are the perfect options for you and your furry sidekick!
1. Mansion House Inn: Just a quick walk from the ferry in Vineyard Haven, Mansion House Inn is an ideal spot for many reasons. They have rooms specially designed for your dog’s needs, and they’re within walking distance to one of the few year-round, pet friendly beaches on the Island, Owen Park Beach.
2. Hob Knob: This eco-boutique hotel welcomes you and your (small) pet in style. Dogs that weigh 20 pounds or less will have a vacation of their lifetime at the Hob Knob. Located in downtown Edgartown, close to shops, restaurants, entertainment, and the harbor, you’ll likely have the vacation of a lifetime, too.
3. Harbor View Hotel: The award-winning Harbor View Hotel has it all, and lets you share it all with your dog. Dogs are allowed in the lobby, the front porch, the yards – even poolside. The hotel is also conveniently across the street from dog-friendly Lighthouse Beach.
These next hotels are great seasonal options!
4. Winnetu Oceanside Resort: Winnetu offers private homes for rent on their property that are pet-friendly, and what a property it is! A short walk to popular South Beach, the resort also has a Children’s Day Program, tennis club, swimming pools, a fitness facility, and easy (and pet-friendly!) shuttle transportation to and from Edgartown. Be sure to speak to the hotel about your pooch, though, because dogs are not allowed everywhere on the property.
5. Duck Inn: If you’re looking to truly get away from it all, the Duck Inn up-Island in Aquinnah is the place for you and your doggy. One of the Island’s better-kept secrets, the Duck Inn is a 5-bedroom bed and breakfast (freshly made, organic breakfast each morning), with a private beach, ocean views, a hot tub, and fireplace. The Duck Inn is also a great option for those planning a group vacation — you can rent the entire house!
6. Island Inn: Island Inn is nestled between the two popular towns of Oak Bluffs and Edgartown. Its lush green property overlooks the Nantucket Sound, offers an outdoors freshwater pool, and is right next to a golf course. It’s also right along a flat, paved trail – perfect for walking Fiddo – and a short walk away to the beach at Sengekontacket Pond, which is dog friendly!
7. Vineyard Square Hotel: Dubbed “Getaway Central,” Vineyard Square Hotel is located in the heart of Downtown Edgartown and recently underwent some spectacular renovations. They offer private suites with separate entrances for you and your doggy companion. The lovely rooftop veranda boasts stunning views of Edgartown Harbor, and their famous porch is perfect for people watching.
8. Tivoli Inn: If you prefer something quaint and cozy, the Tivoli Inn is for you. Located within walking distance to the many great things Oak Bluffs has to offer – restaurants, beaches, waterfront dinning, the harbor, the tabernacle, public transportation, bike oaths, and the summer ferry – the Tivoli Inn welcomes your pooch as a valued guest. This charming Victorian gingerbread cottage is also part of the African American Heritage Trail!
9. Kathleen’s Kottage: This unique “host home” style bed and breakfast is perfect for those who care more about being out and about and taking advantage of all the Island has to offer – but who still need a comfy place to rest at the end of an active day. The friendly owners are happy to greet you and your dog with a genuine Island welcome.
10. Lambert’s Cove Inn: One of the most romantic retreats on Martha’s Vineyard, Lambert’s Cove Inn is located on 7 spectacular acres in the pastoral town of West Tisbury. It’s especially nice that this inn – named “Best Inn on Martha’s Vineyard” by Boston Magazine – is welcoming of your pet.
Be sure to check out all of the dog-loving businesses on Martha’s Vineyard by visiting our Pet-Friendly Page.
See you on the Vineyard!
Visit Martha's Vineyard
Loving Martha's Vineyard is the easiest thing in the world to do.