Martha’s Vineyard is known for our amazing farm-and-sea-to-table cuisine. Our Island-fresh and locally grown produce, as well as our fresh catches and pasture-raised meats, make the Vineyard a foodie’s paradise. And while our special Island boasts some of the most gourmet restaurants you’ll ever have the pleasure of dining at, Martha’s Vineyard is also chockfull of culinary delights to enjoy on a budget. But not to worry: these cheaper choices stay true to the Vineyard experience and don’t sacrifice a single ounce of flavor.
La Choza: Literally meaning, “the shack,” La Choza serves up fresh and delicious food fit for a palace. Their burritos and "untraditional burritos" — which are basically burrito bowls (much like traditional taco salads) — are amazing. Orders are to-go from their prime corner location in Vineyard Haven.
Rocco’s Pizza: Eat in or take out scrumptious Italian dinners and pizza offered at prices that are budget and family friendly. Delicious daily specials and traditional entrees are priced to please.
Linda Jean’s: Enjoy a freshly made meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner in Oak Bluffs at a restaurant that’s been keeping bellies full since 1976.
The Wharf: Edgartown’s hot spot for friendly service and good food that won’t break the bank. Their sandwiches, burgers, and paninis are especially yummy – and budget friendly.
Scottish Bakehouse: Not only an amazing bakery, the Scottish Bakehouse also serves up some incredible eats to-go. Try their quinoa burger or the ½ roast of chicken – really, anything on the menu – and your belly and your wallet will be happy.
Sharky’s Cantina: With two locations (one in Oak Bluffs and one in Edgartown), it’s easy to eat well on a budget. Their menu boasts “50 items under $10.” Plus, they offer a kids’ menu!
Lookout Tavern: A great spot in Oak Bluffs with a great view – and great prices on their appetizers, burgers, and sandwiches. It’s like the trifecta of budget dining.
The Newes from America: Classic pub food in a warm and inviting atmosphere makes for a fun evening at this Edgartown restaurant that feels anything but cheap.
Coop de Ville (pictured above): Located right on Oak Bluffs Harbor, Coop de Ville serves up delicious, fresh, and totally affordable food – but get there early, because this hot spot fills up fast.
The Black Dog Bakery & Café: If you’re looking for an affordable spot for breakfast or lunch, The Black Dog Bakery and Café on State Road in Vineyard Haven is the place for you. This Island landmark also has incredible house-made desserts!
Net Result: Some of the freshest and cheapest take-out on the Island, Net Result is a must for those looking for quality food at affordable prices. They’re not open for dinner, but here’s a little insider tip: Get there before they close at 6pm and order your dinner to-go early.
Love food as much as we do? Be sure to check out all of the places to eat on Martha's Vineyard by visiting our Dine Here page.
See you on the Vineyard!
Martha’s Vineyard is well known for our picture-perfect beaches, quaint towns, historic lighthouses, independent shops, beautiful bike trails, pristine waters, and farm-and-sea-to-table cuisine. But a little lesser known fact is something else that makes the Island so very special: Martha’s Vineyard is incredibly pet friendly! With these 10 great places to stay with your dog, there’s no reason to leave your best friend home when visiting.
These 3 year-round hotels are the perfect options for you and your furry sidekick!
1. Mansion House Inn: Just a quick walk from the ferry in Vineyard Haven, Mansion House Inn is an ideal spot for many reasons. They have rooms specially designed for your dog’s needs, and they’re within walking distance to one of the few year-round, pet friendly beaches on the Island, Owen Park Beach.
2. Hob Knob: This eco-boutique hotel welcomes you and your (small) pet in style. Dogs that weigh 20 pounds or less will have a vacation of their lifetime at the Hob Knob. Located in downtown Edgartown, close to shops, restaurants, entertainment, and the harbor, you’ll likely have the vacation of a lifetime, too.
3. Harbor View Hotel: The award-winning Harbor View Hotel has it all, and lets you share it all with your dog. Dogs are allowed in the lobby, the front porch, the yards – even poolside. The hotel is also conveniently across the street from dog-friendly Lighthouse Beach.
These next hotels are great seasonal options!
4. Winnetu Oceanside Resort: Winnetu offers private homes for rent on their property that are pet-friendly, and what a property it is! A short walk to popular South Beach, the resort also has a Children’s Day Program, tennis club, swimming pools, a fitness facility, and easy (and pet-friendly!) shuttle transportation to and from Edgartown. Be sure to speak to the hotel about your pooch, though, because dogs are not allowed everywhere on the property.
5. Duck Inn: If you’re looking to truly get away from it all, the Duck Inn up-Island in Aquinnah is the place for you and your doggy. One of the Island’s better-kept secrets, the Duck Inn is a 5-bedroom bed and breakfast (freshly made, organic breakfast each morning), with a private beach, ocean views, a hot tub, and fireplace. The Duck Inn is also a great option for those planning a group vacation — you can rent the entire house!
6. Island Inn: Island Inn is nestled between the two popular towns of Oak Bluffs and Edgartown. Its lush green property overlooks the Nantucket Sound, offers an outdoors freshwater pool, and is right next to a golf course. It’s also right along a flat, paved trail – perfect for walking Fiddo – and a short walk away to the beach at Sengekontacket Pond, which is dog friendly!
7. Vineyard Square Hotel: Dubbed “Getaway Central,” Vineyard Square Hotel is located in the heart of Downtown Edgartown and recently underwent some spectacular renovations. They offer private suites with separate entrances for you and your doggy companion. The lovely rooftop veranda boasts stunning views of Edgartown Harbor, and their famous porch is perfect for people watching.
8. Tivoli Inn: If you prefer something quaint and cozy, the Tivoli Inn is for you. Located within walking distance to the many great things Oak Bluffs has to offer – restaurants, beaches, waterfront dinning, the harbor, the tabernacle, public transportation, bike oaths, and the summer ferry – the Tivoli Inn welcomes your pooch as a valued guest. This charming Victorian gingerbread cottage is also part of the African American Heritage Trail!
9. Kathleen’s Kottage: This unique “host home” style bed and breakfast is perfect for those who care more about being out and about and taking advantage of all the Island has to offer – but who still need a comfy place to rest at the end of an active day. The friendly owners are happy to greet you and your dog with a genuine Island welcome.
10. Lambert’s Cove Inn: One of the most romantic retreats on Martha’s Vineyard, Lambert’s Cove Inn is located on 7 spectacular acres in the pastoral town of West Tisbury. It’s especially nice that this inn – named “Best Inn on Martha’s Vineyard” by Boston Magazine – is welcoming of your pet.
Be sure to check out all of the dog-loving businesses on Martha’s Vineyard by visiting our Pet-Friendly Page.
See you on the Vineyard!
It's my job to love this place, and it's no work at all.